Thursday, September 2, 2010

Type A? Yeah right!

Why is picking up a room so hard? This is the battle of our week with Little Man. He owns several Lego sets which causes itty bitty pieces to end up EVERYWHERE! I tried organizing him with a system of like-colored pieces going together but it doesn't work out so well. Sigh...

My husband says I have too high of expectations and should just relax and realize that they are not going to clean up as well as I do. I find that humorous because he doesn't realize that he doesn't pick up as well as I would like either. (He does really well though so I'm not complaining.) Sigh...

So I went to the person whom I trust in these kind of predicaments: my mother. (By the way, when did she actually know what she was talking about and when did I decide that asking her advice was a good thing?) Anyway, I asked her how to help him get it done because out of her three children, I was not the one that needed prompting when it came to cleaning. In fact, there was more than one occasion when I was bribed to clean my sisters room (from my sister not my mom). I find cleaning relaxing and very rewarding...Little Man did not get this quality from me. I digress...where was I? Oh yeah, advice from my mom....she said to break up every part of his room and write it down for him. Then he could take it one little section at a time. So this is exactly what I did....an hour and a half ago!! I never imagined it would take him this long. I'm not even sure if he's still cleaning and not playing. I'm afraid if I go check on him and he's not cleaning, I'll have to throw a fit so I'd better find something to do. So here I am.....sigh.....

The funny thing about this is that I told them at lunch that since we just finished studying about Joseph, that when they were done picking up, we would watch our Joseph movie. Since my son loves T.V. so much, I thought this would be a nice incentive for him to get this chore done quickly. Obviously, not so much. Sigh....

I will tell you a funny story about our morning though. We've been discussing Adam and Eve and how Cain killed Abel etc. etc. The kids were writing summaries of the story and drawing a picture of it when I read about how Cain had a son. I decided asking them a question would be a good way to get them thinking and break up the silence a little. (I always enjoy a good conversation while drawing don't you?) I'll give you the conversation.......

Me: "So, if there is only Adam and Eve and their son Cain left, who did Cain marry and have kids with?"

Silence....

"Where did his wife come from?"

More silence.....

"She had to come from somewhere...what are your thoughts?"

LM: "God must have made her just like he did with Adam and Eve."

"But the Bible doesn't say that. What else could it be?" At this point I'm beginning to wonder why on earth I decided to bring this up but the can had been opened and I had to make sure the worms were controlled.

Princess: "She just showed up?"

"They were brother and sister...both of them came from Adam and Eve."

HUGE GASP! A glance at each other and then a very loud, "EWWWWW!!!!!"

LM: "I'm never marrying my sister! Gross!!!! That's disgusting and wrong. NO WAY!"

P: "Yeah mom, that's not even allowed! It has to be something else!"

Seeing that I completely freaked them out, I then had to go on to explain that while it's wrong currently, Adam and Eve's bloodline was so pure that it was okay and that was the only way the earth could have populated.

Silence...

Great. Now I have them wondering what a bloodline is and if Cain's son is also his brother and many other questions I never intended on answering today. Thankfully, a text came through on my phone and I "got distracted."

Moral of the story? Mom, when they are quiet and working, keep your mouth shut!

No comments:

Post a Comment